Created as a part of a sermon series called Not For Me, this project included 4 different interviews for each week of the sermon series. The Creative Team built a custom set on a “sound stage” to imitate a coffee shop, and each week I sat down and talked with a member of our church to hear their story about how God moved in their life in a way that related to the sermon’s topic.
This video series sparked 2020’s year-long project: 52 Stories, which I helped develop.
Project Victories and Learnings:
- Built a custom set to film on
- Used multiple boom mics (as opposed to lapels)
- Shot with 3 cameras in S-log2 to color match/grade appropriately
- 2 Sony A7S bodies (A7S I and A7S II, respectively) and a Black Magic Pocket Cinema
- Created a branded series, with custom animated titling and lower thirds
- This was our first shoot with B-roll, so developing a series with the pastors with enough lead time to execute was a good learning experience for all parties.
- Although the look of an interview without lapel mics was ideal, the distance of the boom mics from the source was not.
- Achieving the vocal clarity desired in post-production was a less-than-ideal system, and I would consider using lapels if I couldn’t get a better field recording.